Monday, March 17, 2008

What to "test drive" new books?

I'm having a great day of writing, sitting in my office with my front window open, braving my spring allergies! I ran to the doctor this morning and got a prescription for some new allergy meds (XYZAL). Anyone tried this yet? We'll see how things go. I had some allergies in Colorado but (naturally) they're starting earlier here and since there's lots more blooming and "bustin' out all over" in this region of the country, I have a feeling I'm in for a fun spring! ;)

I've mentioned Chapter-A-Week on here before, but if you're not familiar with it, read on. If you're already a member, please spread the word. We're approaching our 1000th member and we're getting ready to celebrate big time!! And if you're the one who refers that 1000th member, you'll get something too! Fun!

Here's the scoop:

It's hard enough to find books that are just right for everyone. Chapter-a-Week gives readers the opportunity to read sample excerpts from a broad range of Christian fiction every week without having to pay a cent! Plus it's a great way to discover new authors you might not have found otherwise. Chapter-A-Week doesn't fill your inbox with needless emails. Only one email per week is all it takes to discover great new titles.

Founded in February 2002 by beloved novelists Jane Orcutt and Angela Hunt, Chapter-a-Week has had a steadily growing readership. In honor of our 1000th member, Chapter-a-Week is giving away autographed books by your favorite Christian novelists! We'll send a box of books to our 1000th member and if you happen to refer that 1000th member, you'll get something too!

Chapter-a-Week is a Yahoo! Group, so simply sign up to be a subscriber of the list and you'll start receiving your excerpts every Friday.

Just go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChapteraWeek/ and click "join this group."

4 comments:

  1. I joined Chapter-a-week and have found it a good way to research first lines or "hook" sentences of books I wouldn't normally pick up. With three small children, I don't always get a chance to head to B&N and lose myself in a sea of books, so this has been helpful as I discover more about the craft of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Tamera! I hadn't heard of this group, but I'm going to go sign up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tamera. I just signed up. What a great way to meet new authors. Like I need one more book to add to my "I can't wait to read" pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marcie, what a GREAT idea! I teach a class on "Dissecting Fiction" (a large part of how I learned to write was by dissecting novels), and a section of it deals with first sentences. So we share a penchant for those!

    flchen1 and paula, hope you enjoy CAW! I'm getting ready to post another update in just a minute...on that 1000th member!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...