Tuesday, April 15, 2008

If this is a working vacation...

We're having a marvelous time in Hawaii. Honolulu to be exact. This is a view outside our hotel room. My husband's conference is over this afternoon, and tomorrow we fly to Kauai (only a 30 minute flight) where we'll stay until we fly back to Honolulu on Saturday to head back home to Nashville via Houston.

I'm getting lots of writing done down by the pool, eating my shaved ice (with ice cream in the bottom, no less--which is exactly where it's being distribution on my body!!). But it sure is good! There's a treadmill somewhere with my name on it, but oh well...

This is a working vacation of sorts, as I'm on some tight deadlines and can't take days off from writing for a while. But honey, if this is what a working vacation is like then sign me up for a lifetime of it! I get situated by the pool, pop in my iPod ear buds, select the Dancing with Wolves soundtrack, and I'm back in Colorado 1877 and am in the writing zone! Until I run out of shaved ice, of course...

Here are some quick snapshots from recent days. A part of this trip that's been a real blessing is seeing Stacy Woodroof again, a dear friend from my past. She claims I gave her a perm years ago but I promise I don't remember that. They say memory's the first thing to go... Stacy and I last saw each other eighteen years ago when our children were just toddlers and played together in Abilene, TX. The years have passed but what's so wonderful is that we've picked up right where we left off. I love sister friendships like that, don't you?


More later, now I'm off to find lunch somewhere then I think we're going to a volcano...

Stacy and me


L to R: My husband Joe, me, and Tim
(a friend and former colleague of Joe's from Colorado--Tim's a nut!)


Jon, Stacy and Parker Woodroof
(Parker was just a little boy when I saw him last. He's grown a tad!)


Palm Trees at dusk. I hope this turns out. I snapped it last night as we were on our way out to eat (at the Hawaiian version of Denny's. LOL! And the pancakes were great!)


Yesterday we visited the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. Such a moving tribute and monument to the valor and sacrifice of the men and women who gave their lives here (both military and civilians), and such a beautiful place (especially contrasted with what happened on December 7, 1941).

On the boat shuttle out to where the USS Arizona rests

The Arizona Monument

5 comments:

  1. You must be staying at the same hotel I was at in Feb., the view looks the same. I absolutely love Hawaii. We also went to Kauai for a few days before coming home. Be sure to see the "blow hole" & the Grand Canyon of Hawaii on Kauai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous vacation! Glad you're having a terrific time! Thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pics, Tamera!! Sounds like you're having a marvelous working vacation! :) Seeing the Arizona Memorial brought back memories...I visited there as a teen. ~ I guess it goes without saying that little Jack didn't go along?! LOL! But I'm sure you'll bring him a souvenir! :)
    Blessings, Patti Moore

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to find out you have a blog! I am dying to read your upcoming book! I cant wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you planning on coming to Dallas to do any book signings this year? I'd love to finally meet you in person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...