Friday, June 27, 2008

First draft of The Inheritance turned in!

Okay...can you hear the Hallelujah Chorus being sung in the background? I recently turned in the first draft of The Inheritance to my editors at Thomas Nelson (here in Nashville). Writing The Inheritance was very much a "coming full circle moment" for me because this story is the first novel I ever wrote. Which was also rejected and sat in my desk drawer for years!

I've loved these characters and have carried them inside me for the past nine years, so when I was approached with the opportunity by Thomas Nelson to write this story--fixing the problems it had at the outset, of course, while adding new subplots and story lines--I jumped at the chance! It always feels so good to get a first draft written! Soon will come the rewrite process...which I LOVE!

The Inheritance, the first historical for WOMEN OF FAITH FICTION, releases in March 2009. We're working on cover art right now and as soon as that's ready, I'll give you a sneak peek!


I'm already busy at work on Beyond This Moment, the second book in the Timber Ridge Reflections series, and believe it or not, Bethany House has a preliminary cover. We're still tweaking things but I thought I'd share a glimpse!

The story features a new character, Professor Molly Whitcomb, who comes to the Colorado Territory not of her own accord, let's say. She's none too happy to be in Timber Ridge or in "this moment" of her life. And when she meets Sheriff James McPherson (a character in From a Distance), she's even more convinced that her coming to Timber Ridge is a huge mistake. Until she starts to glimpse what God is doing around her, both in her relationships with the people of Timber Ridge and with this new man who, above all, prizes honesty--something she flees at every turn.

Beyond This Moment, the sequel to From A Distance, releases in May 2009.

15 comments:

  1. Ooohhh,Tamera, I cannot wait to read both of these stories! Sounds like you've been working really hard. Hope you're getting to relax a little too, since it IS summer - LOL!! Have enjoyed the pictures of your beautiful backyard and seeing what you all have done - WOW! :)
    Blessings, Patti
    (from Georgia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* I do not have this kind of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Thanks friends, y'all are so kind! And encouraging!

    Life has been a little crazy lately. My husband has been gone the entire month of June to Japan (on the Fulbright Scholar program) so while I've had plenty of time to write (and have certainly made the most of that), I'm SO ready for him to be home!

    And...he gets home tonight! Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for your new releases!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamera,
    I love From A Distance! I enjoyed the characters and the dialogue between them. I laughed, smiled & teared up a time or two. I enjoyed how the Lord molded Elizabeth throughout the story.
    Love the book cover and Kelsey's curls! Beyond This Moment's cover looks great and I can hardly wait until it comes out! Keep up the great writing!
    Blessings, Faith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Write Write Write! I'd say I can't wait, but that's a whole school year away and my kids are already growing up too fast! In May I'll have my baby excited about heading toward high school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE the cover for Beyond This Moment! It's hard to believe but April '09 will probably be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover looks great, Tamera :) Lovely to hear you have a book coming out with TN also - looking forward to both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I just found your blog and I wanted to say I just finished "From a Distance" and loved it. I love all your books, but I think that one is my favorite so far. Can't wait until the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fabulous! Thanks for the update, Tamera, and so glad your husband's back! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can't wait to see which version of The Inheritance cover you pick, it's such a pleasure to sew these dresses for your books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Lisa! I appreciate that!

    And Faith, so glad you enjoyed FAD (and how the Lord molded Elizabeth). I connected with Elizabeth in many ways throughout writing that story.

    LOL, Linda! And yes, doesn’t time fly! And your “baby” is getting ready to enter HS? Look out, those years are a quick blink to college. They grow up so quickly.

    Thanks, Ruth. Bethany House’s art department (led by Paul Higdon) does a wonderful job on covers. I appreciate their dedication to the entire packaging of the book.

    Hey Rel…thanks so much for that nudge on the interview you’re posting, and I’m really looking forward to writing more about the history of Tennessee.

    Hey Ruth! Welcome, friend, and thanks for those kind thoughts on FAD. I’m thrilled you enjoyed it! Love your smile, btw! So engaging! ;)

    Hey Flchen1, it’s wonderful to have Joe back! Lord willing, never again for this long (we’ve both decided!) ;)

    Oretha!! The woman behind the dresses on the covers of my books! Thanks so much for commenting here, and for doing such a marvelous job on crafting these ensembles! Book covers are so important in making a powerful “first impression,” and of course the clothes (especially in a historical) are key! I’d love to do an interview with you on this process (if you’re interested, please contact me through my blog). And thanks again for sewing such wonderful costumes for my heroes and heroines.

    My deepest thanks, friends, for taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so excited when I read that you're making James McPherson his own story!! I was hoping you'd do that since I loved him in From A Distance. :) Can't wait for it to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Mumncani! James captured a piece of my heart when I wrote From A Distance. I'm glad you liked him too. He and Molly Whitcomb are keeping me hopping! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...