Wednesday, October 29, 2008

TomToms and TamTams


I got a TomTom recently. You know, one of those GPS navigation devices. I've always been directionally challenged, and since moving from Colorado (where "west" is easy to tell because of the Rockies) to Tennessee (where every road and cluster of pine and oak, while so very lovely, look exactly the same [exaggeration alert]), I've had my fair share of challenges behind the wheel.

So I got a TomTom. Problem solved, right?

Well...

I took it on recent trip with me down to Clearwater, FL where I was being interviewed on the "It's Time for Herman and Sharron Show." The TV station is a good thirty minutes from the airport so I rented a car (a Caliber, since my critique partner, Deb Raney, has her current character driving one...I considered it research on her behalf), and I set off with my trusty TomTom, which my husband calls TamTam because it's always telling him where to go.

Anyway...

I'm driving along, crossing a long bridge, loving the smell of the salt water, watching the seagulls dipping and soaring, all while following every direction my handy little British-speaking TamTam is giving me.

"Turn right in 400 feet."

It's so cool to actually know where you're going when you're going somewhere you've never been.

"Turn right in 200 feet."

I start going over possible interview questions in my mind. The book we'll be discussing is now two books ago so I'm reliving the characters, the story...

"Turn right."

I do exactly what TamTam says. She and I are "one" on the road!

"You have reached your destination."

I slow down and look up at the building. ADULT SUPERSTORE. I kid you not. I'm sitting there thinking, either I'm in the wrong place or Herman and Sharron do a whole different show than what I'd thought. :)

Suffice it to say, I was in the wrong place. I checked the address I'd entered into my TomTom and it was the station's address, but obviously this was not the place I was supposed to be. I called the station and still made it there on time, and had such fun sharing this story with Herman and Sharron--right before we prayed and went on! LOL! 

I ran across this familiar verse recently and it made me think of what happened above, while it also served as a reminder that while I may think I know what's best for my life, God is the One I want leading my steps.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

My hubby and I are headed for Prague this Saturday--a business trip for him that I'm tagging along on--so I'll do my best to post next Tuesday with pics! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh that's too funny!

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds exactly like something that would happen to me.

    Can't wait to see pictures from Prague!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...