Friday, March 20, 2009

Update on my mom

I wish I could find the words to say how much it means to me to know that so many of you are praying for my mom. The surgery yesterday was over four hours long but was successful in so many ways.

The doctors did find a mass located at the base of her liver near the bile duct (which we already knew that the bile duct had cancer). The surgeon took that tumor and over half of mom's liver, along with the bile duct. Then he reconstructed the duct and did the repair work.

It will be at least a week before the pathology report comes back on the tumor, so we don't know for sure whether that was malignant or benign. But the surgeon did take several other biopsies yesterday and had three pathologists standing by to read them--and they all came back "clean." Praise God! 

When asked if mom's remaining liver will regenerate in her lifetime, the doctor smiled and said that with proper nutrition, her liver will regenerate in about a month! God's design of the body 
is nothing short of amazing!

Here's my mom and dad pictured with our son when he moved into his college dorm this past fall.

Mom had a good night last night, her pain is under control and we're hoping she gets out of ICU today but that remains to be determined. She'll be in the hospital for another 7-10 days. The greatest obstacle right now (as we await the pathology report on the tumor and to find out if the cancer has spread) is the threat of infection. With all she's undergone--the invasive surgery, the tubes and drains, etc.--she has a 50/50 chance of infection setting in, which will bring unwanted complications.

But we all know that God doesn't let percentages bother Him. Nothing can stand in the way of His will. Whatever that is. Bless you all, again, for standing in the gap for me and my family. While I love words, sometimes, wonderful as they are, they fail to express our thanks. 
And to the kind friends who stayed with us in the waiting room yesterday, helping the hours to pass...God bless you. Your laughter and love made all the difference.

One last request, please...if you've visted CBD.com and have frequented their "Author Shop" (located here), then you've been blessed by the work of Dianne Burnett, the Fiction Coordinator at Christian Book Distributors.  Dianne's husband, Wayne, was very recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was told his diagnosis at best is a 2-5% chance of recovery, and the doctor gave them no hope. 

But we know better, do we not, that God can heal with a thought if it's His will. Would you please join me in praying for Dianne and her husband, Wayne--for healing, for a miracle, and for an immovable faith as they walk this road.

Now to get a few words written before heading back up to the hospital. 

Continued blessings...

P.S. It's mom and dad's 55th Wedding Anniversary tomorrow (the 21st), and we'll be celebrating their life together. Of course mom won't remember due to the morphine, but oh well... We'll tell her about it. :-) 

8 comments:

  1. Oh Tammy...THANK YOU for this update on your precious Mom - - since yesterday I've been "running back and forth" to my laptop and clicking on this blog to see if you'd posted anything yet! I'm so glad the surgery is over and I will continue with my daily prayers for your Mom. I'm sure YOU are exhausted (emotionally and physically) but I know the Lord will see you through. (Be sure and munch some DOTS, LOL!!). Hugs, Prayers, and Love, Patti Jo
    Psalms 61:2

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Happy Anniversary to your precious Parents, Tammy!! 55 years - WOW!! :) ~ Also, I'll be praying for Dianne Burnett's husband Wayne.
    Hugs, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was thinking about you yesterday as I got here to Dallas for the Christian Book Expo, and I prayed for your mom. I hope her recovery is smooth.

    Happy Anniversary to your folks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamera,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to give us an update on your precious mother. I will continue to pray for a complete recovery for her. In the mean time I pray that you are getting proper rest and nourishment. Take care of yourself and know that prayers and thoughts are surrounding you and your family.
    In His Grace,
    Veonica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ms Tammy, so glad to hear your mother's surgery went well. Will continue praying for a speedy recovery. We serve an amazing God, don't we? I'm happy to stand in the gap to pray for you and your family. Love you guys! Send my love to your family.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking the time to share an update on your mom - I am praising God for how well the surgery went! I know how easy it can be for infections to set in in hospitals (my Grandmother is in one recovering from a stroke, and there have been some close calls) - but God is faithful & I pray his protective covering over your mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary to the special people in your life. Prayers continuing! Thank you for the update. God bless! ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy, praying for you and your folks! May God bring healing to your mom.

    Blessings,

    Leanna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...