Monday, April 20, 2009

Nano iPods and God's great mercy


I'm back from a recent trip to Atlanta where I had really good time with mom and dad. A couple of cute things happened while there...

When the nurse came in to take mom's vitals at the oncologist she told mom to "take deep breaths, please," and all of sudden we heard dad breathing real deep. Mom and I looked at him like what on earth are you doing, and he didn't even realize he was doing it. We got so tickled. I told him I thought that was carrying the "oneness" thing in marriage a tad far. Him trying to breathe for her too...

Something else sweet...I showed them my iPod and they loved it! I decided to get mom one and load it with her favorite music so she can listen to it during her infusion sessions (chemo, more on that in a minute). So dad and I went to Wal-Mart to pick one out Friday afternoon, and he insisted that he wanted to buy it for her as a gift from him. He chose the color (purple) and she LOVES it! They were so cute. I've got tons of music already loaded and taught them how to use it. I talked to her a while ago and she'd already been listening to praise music this morning. She says, "It's so clear. Like the singers are right inside your head." ;)

Here they are at the surgeon's office just after being "introduced" to the world 
of the iPod. I turned around and saw them sharing it and snapped a pic.
We met with the oncologist and surgeon last week and both appointments gave us hope. Mom's chemo starts in June. They're allowing her time to regain her strength. She's eating much better now and she's getting stronger so that's a great thing following two major surgeries in two months.

While I was with them, we talked a lot about life, death, life in the hereafter, cried many tears, but laughed even more at funny things that've happened and at a ton of past memories, including things about loved ones who are already waiting for us in Heaven. It was great to be there, and I wouldn't have missed these days with them for anything. 

These past two months have been hard ones and we have no clue what lies ahead (who among us does). But we know, without a doubt, that God is guiding each step along this road. On behalf of my family...thank you. We appreciate you walking this road with us in prayerful support. It's making all the difference.

Me and mom

Dad and me

5 comments:

  1. Love the iPod story! That would have completely flummoxed my mom!

    Your parents are adorable. And I can say from my days working as an RN that they are a blessing and breath of fresh air to the nurses they encounter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odd that you say that, Linda, about them being a blessing and breath of fresh air, but two of the nurses said almost that same thing...verbatim! :)

    And I had no idea you were a nurse. I have so much respect and admiration for nurses, and that's only grown in recent months. They give so much and make such a difference in family's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What precious "parent time" you had, Tammy! Love the pictures of you with your parents (you ALL look great) and thanks for sharing the ipod story(cute!). ~ Continued prayers going up everyday for your Mom. Hugs, Patti Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamera,
    What a testimony your parents are! These are the kind of people that not only "talk the talk" but "walk the walk". People that show us how to trust God in the face of trials. I know that they are human, but the light of Jesus is showing through...believe me. They are being a great encouragement to me and I'm sure many others. How blessed you are to have them.
    I am reminded of the second verse of the song "His Eye is on the sparrow":
    Let not your heart be troubled, His tender words I hear;
    while resting on His goodness, I lose my doubt and fear.
    By the path He leads us,
    though just one step we may see;
    STILL His eye is on the sparrow, and I KNOW He's watching me.
    His eye in on the sparrow and I know He's watching me.
    Chorus: So I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free! His eye is on the sparrow and I KNOW He's watching me!

    Tamera, the Lord IS watching over your parents and you. Continue to rest in that truth. you and your dear, sweet parents are i my prayers and thoughts.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Patti Jo. I never dreamed my parents would get an iPod but they're loving it!

    And thanks for the reminder of that song, Veronica. It's one my mom's favs. Thanks also for your kind words about my parents. They're so precious to me, and I'm grateful God "gave" them to me (and me to them). ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...