Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Boeuf Bourguignon anyone?

I used to love to cook but in recent years that love has faded to a "have to." And long vanished is the urge to tackle anything that requires more than five minutes and three ingredients. Then I saw the movie Julie and Julia, and I've been craving Boeuf Bourguignon ever since. So, I'm making it this week. I'll let you know how it turns out--if I can remember where the kitchen is.

I'm diving back into writing full time this week too, and it's been a while. Within My Heart, the story I began last fall, before Mom's cancer diagnosis, has been sitting on my laptop. And though I haven't written much recently, the story hasn't been dormant. It's been living inside me, growing and taking shape.

For a while, I tried writing in the hospital (as I stayed with Mom, sitting close beside her bed) but I quickly learned that hospitals are no place for rest--or for writing. The real clincher for me (when I knew I needed to lay aside this story for a time) came some time back when Mom started to speak, then stopped, and said, "Oh honey, I'm sorry. Am I bothering you?"

I closed my laptop with a click.

I'm so grateful to my publisher for their patience as I finish this book (which will be released in late summer 2010 now), and I'm keenly aware of how the story has changed and taken shape in recent months. Everything a writer experiences eventually makes it to the written page in some form, at least it does for me, and my experiences these past few months are no different.

I treasure every moment with Mom, every overnight hospital stay, every "early wee hours of the morning" chat when she couldn't sleep and we'd sit up and talk. Every one of those times is written on my heart and has changed me and my view of this life, I think for the better. When my time comes to cross over from this life to the next, I'll do a better job of it because of watching Mom go before me. Thanks, Mom.

And now, back to Timber Ridge, Colorado, 1870s.

~Tammy

6 comments:

  1. SO excited for this new story- keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One year ago this coming weekend I was walking my own mother Home.

    I love your perspective. Can't wait to see the effect on your already stellar novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered your novels this year in our church library and have devoured them! Thanks for writing from your heart...it transports me to another world and gives me a little escape from the dishes, diaper changes, and housework ;-). The best part is that it points me to the Lord. I can't wait to read Within My Heart. I've already mentioned to the librarian that we need to get it! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you in your journey in grief--having gone through it with my own mom 5 years ago and our own precious son last year (brain tumor); it makes me long for Heaven sooon...But I still have 2 grandchildren who need me....

    Love your books--please keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, friends, and I'm praying for each of you tonight. Appreciate our connection here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're making me cry! Through out your mom's illness I kept thinking of my mom. She is so precious I cannot imagine losing her. I dread the day. You've portrayed such strength and faith. Watching the journey on the web was a bittersweet experience. I know the book will bring us all something special. Can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...