Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The forbidden fruit

It’s another snowy day here in Nashville (at least while I’m posting this), and I’m tucked inside, writing, still pushing toward home on this book. But I wanted to share a bit of an epiphany moment for me that happened this past Sunday.
I’m being so blessed by the teaching at the church we attend, and this past Sunday’s lesson was no exception. We’re studying Genesis and we’re currently in the third chapter. The pastor, Lloyd, asked the question this week, “When did Eve sin?”
When did Eve sin? When was the moment of rebellion for her? Was it when she reached for the fruit? When she pulled the fruit off the tree? When she took a bite? When was the point of sin? He suggested that the pulling of the fruit off the tree and eating it was an outward expression of what had already happened in Eve’s heart. And I agree, because I see me in her.
Something happened at a point in time when Eve decided that God was not good. Somewhere in her heart, she decided God was not trustworthy, because she decided that his prohibition of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was actually depriving her of something she needed. Her actions say that she decided that God’s limits were, in fact, God saying “I have something really good...but I’m not gonna give it to you.” 
So, she decided to get it herself. 
Sound at all familiar? Ever want anything so badly you just decided to go for it, even knowing it wasn’t part of God’s will for your life? In summary, Lloyd suggested that the root of all of our sin is unbelief. The lack of believing in God. But even more specifically, the lack of believing that God is good. That everything He does is for our good. Period. He’s perfect love and everything He does stems from that love, including what that love "prohibits." The serpent came at Eve and somewhere in there, in the midst of conversation in the garden, in the day-to-day, the serpent managed to convince her that God was not good. 
Likewise, the enemy is constantly looking for ways to convince you and me that God is not good. But you know what? You can’t determine God’s goodness by your circumstances, by how your life is going. You can only determine God’s goodness on the basis of the cross (Igbok--God’s promise that “It’s Gonna Be OK”). The cross inexplicably says, “God is good. All the time. Forever. In every way. Period.”
Our faith is grounded upon our confidence in God’s goodness. To say it another way, as Lloyd did, the foundation of our faith is our trust in God’s goodness. And yet another way to say it, our faith is only as strong as our conviction that God is good. I love it when God takes something I “know” and yet turns it (and me) inside out and shows me another depth to him. And to his perfect love.
The worship leaders at Fellowship recently released a CD containing worship songs they’d written. We’ve been singing them as a congregation and I’ve been incredibly blessed by the music and lyrics, so I picked up a couple of extra CDs with the purpose of sharing them here. If you’re interested, leave a quick comment indicating you are and I’ll “draw” two names and post the winners next Tuesday. 
Now, back to Timber Ridge, and Rand and Rachel. And...it’s already stopped snowing here in Nashville. But not back in Colorado 1877... 

6 comments:

  1. Tammy,

    Chris & I so needed to hear this message TODAY! Thank you for sharing words of encouragement.
    Love ya,
    Lisa & Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same back to you, Lisa! And hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such an encouraging message!
    And I am really excited about reading "Within My Heart!"
    God bless!
    -Lys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Gilmer2/11/2010 8:22 AM

    It is amazing when we see something we've known forever in a whole new light. Thanks for the encouraging words, Tamera. I really need them today : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamera,
    I have been teaching a Sunday school class for women and we have been studying the book of John. The word "believe" is very important in the book of John. He uses the word 98 times in that book alone. I keep coming back to the fact that it is so important that we believe! I would love to share this post with the girls. I think it would truly bless. Would you let me quote you?

    I love to worship! Would love to hear the worship cd. Nothing like a new song bringing refreshing and strength.

    Thank you so much for this post!

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, gals.

    And yes, Cheri, please feel free to share! I'm reading in John right now too, just finished the book last night in fact. I, too, was amazed at how many times Jesus said to believe, and then to ask "in his name." Now to put those truths into practice in a deeper way in my life. Continued blessings...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...