Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Just hit SEND

I just hit SEND, and Within My Heart––all but the epilogue, which I'm writing––is winging its electronic way to my editor's inbox. Gracious, this book has been a struggle. I started it at the end of 2008, got a few chapters written and then Mom was diagnosed with cancer last February. And then my world kind of tilted.

I'm not sure whether God has brought the stories I've written in order to help me with the struggles I'm going through at the time, or if the struggles I'm going through at the time just happen to find their way into my stories. Feels like a Forrest Gump question, huh? But whichever way it works––and I think maybe it's both, as Forrest would say––I'm grateful for the journeys God has led me on with these particular characters. But I must say...

I'm SO GLAD this first draft is done. Whew! My editors have been beyond patient and I'm grateful. I'm also grateful to you, Deb, for reading and helping me to maintain perspective. Writers often get so close to the story, we can't see what's right in front us. So thank you, friend.

And now...I'm getting out of this house for a little while, and am going to go grab a Venti Iced White Chocolate Mocha Skinny with Whipped latte (as if anything with whipped cream could be "skinny"), or something else equally decadent that I absolutely should not have. Then I'm coming back to start packing this house. I welcome shorter term goal-oriented tasks. Especially after the last fourteen months.

Blessings on your week!

P.S. I often listen to the Forrest Gump Suite as I write. It's playing on my laptop now, in fact, as I'm typing this and a light snow is falling outside. Beautiful. Okay, where's my latte...

5 comments:

  1. TAMERA!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations, I can only image how relieved you must be! I think I have been holding my breath for you, because I just released it in a mighty whoosh. Keepin' you in my prayers. :)

    So excited to seeing this book on the shelves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome. And it's a FABULOUS story! Possibly my favorite you've written to date! I see your heart in this story!

    And bless you, friend, for providing the same perspective for me. We've been blessed to be crit partners all these years! Going on eight years now, isn't it? Here's to at least 8 more. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you've hit "SEND", that means it's that much closer to being in my anxious hands! (And everyone else that loves your books!)

    But "packing the house" - did I miss something? Are you moving?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read it!! I have almost all your other books and really enjoy them:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...