Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Feasting on comfort food


I love cookbooks. As I've started packing my kitchen, I've run across some wonderful cookbooks I hadn't visited in a while. Several were gifts from Mom. She always wrote notes inside them and those notes are extra special to me now. Through the years, we often bought the same cookbook when shopping or traveling together, and when she was here visiting, she'd go through my copy and draw little smiley faces by the recipes she'd tried and liked, and sad faces by the losers. I treasure those precious scribbles.

I could read about cooking all day long. I love the idea of fabulous home cooked meals with scrumptious ingredients and having the dishes turn out just like the ones in the high gloss pictures and then serving them on a perfectly decorated Martha Stewart table. Then there's reality... 

I've cooked once in the past week. Okay, twice if you include the french toast with bacon last night (I love having breakfast at night, there's just something so comforting about it), and three times if you count the pineapple and strawberries I cut up to go with the pizza I ordered on Saturday.

Not long ago, my sweet across-the-street neighbor, Dana, introduced me to The Pioneer Woman, and after perusing the website, I ordered The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook. 


I appreciate a "down to earth" cookbook and this is just that. It's such fun and really captures life on a working ranch, the love of family, and the joy of cooking for those you love. Be sure and check out the Buttered Rosemary Rolls. Dana brought over a pan of those hot from the oven recently and oh...my...goodness. Delicious! You wouldn't want to eat them every day, for sure, but for a special occasion? Perfect! They're comfort food to the max.

Two nights ago, I received some real "comfort food" from the Bread of Life. It was one of those occasions when God's reminder of His watchful care fed my soul in ways so very undeserved. I've been feeling a "groaning" inside recently. Not a dissatisfaction with life, but rather a keener sense that this life is only the beginning. And somedays, quite frankly, I feel an urge to want to get on with it already. As I readied for bed on Saturday, I glimpsed my Bible on the nightstand and realized I hadn't read my daily reading that day. Nor a handful of days before. I hesitated, not wanting to be reminded of yet another something I'm behind on, but I felt a prompting to submit to His Word. And I'm so glad I did. 

The reading was from 2 Corinthians 5...

"For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life..."

That was exactly what I'd been feeling. And swallowed up by life! Don't you just love that promise? The Bread of Life is waiting to sustain us, to fill us. So why do we oftentimes just nibble on His Word when we could feast!

Praying you enjoy comfort food this week...especially the eternal kind.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a cookbook addict, so I totally relate to this post. And I love your spiritual comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a favorite cookbook, Linda? If yes, I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking at cookbooks, too! I got excited to see your cookbook recommendation! It looks awesome! My grandmother just gave me a cookbook this past Christmas that she bought for me about 25 years ago. She wrote me a little note in it. I know it'll be a treasure for many years to come! I also love one of those homemade cookbooks where you write in your recipes. For one of my bridal showers, my friends sent recipe cards with the invitations and all my friends/family wrote their favorite recipes and brought them to the shower. Then they gave me the cookbook as a gift. Another treasure! God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...