Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Do overs

I love do overs.

I love that I serve a living God who believes in second chances. I love that when I've tried and failed, and tried and failed, and feel as if I've surely soaked up every last smidgen of His grace, He pulls me close and shows me that I've merely been splashing in the shallow end.

I love the start of a New Year. There's something fresh about turning that calendar page and knowing the old year is behind us, and the new is ahead. I appreciate Carol's post yesterday at Writes of Passage, and how she quoted Philippians 3:13 and shared about forgetting what's behind and straining toward what's ahead. Those are definitely words (or a version of them) I say to myself often. "Learn what you can, Tammy, and move on." 

A song I've listened to and have sung many, many times, played on my iPod Christmas morning as I was getting ready, and the lyrics touched my heart in a powerful way. Especially when I thought of the last few moments Jesus spent with His Father and the Spirit before He came to Earth and "took on flesh" in the form of a baby. Truly, how deep is the Father's love for us...


"I will not boast in anything––no gifts, no power, no wisdom. But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection."  This line has become a prayer for me this week, and I'm sure it will carry over into the New Year.

And now...you'll never guess. I have a recipe to share! We made the most delicious Black Bean Salsa and served it alongside our Christmas dinner of brisket and mashed potatoes and other Southern faves. And we'll be making the salsa again for New Years too. Served with multi-grain chips and some guacamole and oh baby! Thanks, Andrea, for sharing your recipe.

 Black Bean Salsa
2 cans black beans
1 cup frozen corn
4 green onions
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 red bell " chopped
1 bunch cilantro
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil

In large bowl toss beans, corn, onions, peppers, cilantro, and garlic. Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, chili powder, salt, black pepper and oil. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat well, then refrigerate. Delicious!!! 

And here's another little treat we had for Christmas––Pecan Tassies. Fabulous, and easy too! Mom's recipe that I've had since 1976. It's a keeper!

Blessings in the New Year, friends, and I'm so glad we're on this journey together...

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Tammy, Thank you for sharing this wonderful message with me, as I read it I realized that thru all the trials I have encountered this yr with my husband's terminal illness and the ways I handled some of them I am so blessed with God's mercy of forgivness and love, that each day he has given me the strength to handle these situations and gave me a new day to 'do over' I love you and thank you for helping me see that indeed I am in his strong, capable hands and He will provide all I need to face the days ahead.. God bless you always, hugs and prayers, Marti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy I am sorry I meant to tell you how much I love the song and hope to find it soon to add to my collection..
    God bless you always, hugs, Marti

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...