Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Jan 4, The One Year Bible

The One Year Bible NLT (One Year Bible: New Living Translation-2)On occasion this year, as I'm reading through The One Year Bible, I'm going to share thoughts from my personal notes. Here are some from today:


Reading in Genesis 8, I noticed that "on the first day of the new year, ten and a half months after the flood began, the floodwaters had almost dried up from the earth. Noah lifted back the covering of the boat and saw that the surface of the ground was drying."


On the first day of the new year...  Isn't it just like God to bring Noah and his family a new beginning on the first day of the year? God knows our hearts. He understands what new beginnings mean to us, and how much we need fresh starts.


Then on down it's written, "For God made human beings in his own image." What a privilege we've been given, without the slightest bit of merit on our part. We're created in the image of the Living God!


Later we read of Nimrod, the greatest hunter in the world, who built his kingdom in the land of Babylonia, which I'm studying about right now in the Isaiah study with BSF (Bible Study Fellowship). I love when studies of the Bible intersect. [Are any of you involved in the BSF Isaiah study too? What a rich study that is. If you haven't been part of BSF before, I encourage you to check it out. This is my first study with them and I'm learning so much.]


And closing with Proverbs chapter one, "Wisdom shouts in the streets. She cries out in the public square... Come and listen to my counsel. I'll share my heart with you and make you wise."


Lord, you promise in James 1:5 that if I ask you for wisdom, you'll give it to me. That you won't rebuke me for asking. But that you'll give wisdom generously IF my faith is in you alone. It is, and I'm asking. And I'm trusting in Christ's sufficiency, not my own.


Which leads me to my word for 2011, which I posted about over at Writes of Passage today. 


If something spoke to you in your own personal study of scripture today, I'd love to hear it! Blessings all...

4 comments:

  1. Loved this! I had a wake up call this morning in my time - Ps. 40. I wrote about it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading too!! I read at night so I have something to think about and pray over as I fall asleep since sleep is not coming too easily these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamera, I use the One-Year Bible as well, and have for years! I love it.
    I wanted to let you know that I linked to you on my book blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, gals! Becky, loved your thoughts. April, praying you're sleeping peacefully even as I type this. And Cindy, thanks for the link, lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...