Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Plan B…in action

Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would?When I finish a book, I clean. If something isn't moving, I'm cleaning it. And if it does move, I'm chasing it down to clean it. Last Sunday my husband and I had worked on taxes, then we moved to reorganizing my office (something I've needed to do since we moved into this house last May). We were both in our sweats, just laughing and working away…when the doorbell rang.

I opened the door and there stood our friends Larry and Linda, a couple in the Bible Study that we host in our home…every two weeks! Joe and I totally forgot. Just flat spaced it, the wonderfully spiritual people we are.

Thankfully, and I truly am grateful for this, Larry and Linda forgave the stunned looks on our faces and came on in. Then when Matt and Ali arrived, and Bill and Mel, we shared the Lord's Supper together and discussed our Plan B chapters (great book, btw). And we laughed, of course, at the Plan B for our Sunday afternoon. It was such a rich time of sharing and being together in the Lord, and as we sat there, praying and discussing God's Word and His mysterious ways, I kept thanking God over and over that we have such wonderful friends. Such acceptance and fellowship with each other.

It didn't matter that the house was an absolute mess or that my desk was piled high with bills that needed to be paid and filed, and all the books were off the shelves, and other stuff out of the cabinets (honey, when I clean, I clean!). I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable because I knew they came to study the Word, not look at this silly house.

Oh! And just the day before, I'd had a craving for chocolate chip walnut cookies so made up a batch but only baked 3 or 4 cookies then put the rest of the dough in the fridge. So…voila! In 9 minutes we had warm cookies and milk to accompany our Bible study. (I told Joe that God had wanted me to make those cookies!)

People truly are what matter most.


I think of all the ways that people in Japan are suffering right now and it's heartbreaking. Yet I know without a doubt that the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel is aware of every hurt. And not only is He aware but He's working amidst the hurt and grief.

"He will be gracious if you ask for help. He will surely respond to the sound of your cries. Though the Lord gave you adversity for food and suffering for drink, he will still be with you to teach you. You will see your teacher with your own eyes. Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, "This is the way you should go," whether to the right or to the left." (Isaiah 30:19b-21)


I love that passage. And along with you, I'm praying for these hurting people continually.

And speaking of people… I got the greatest surprise in the mail yesterday evening! It was so fun! I checked my mail box around 7:30 and a dear friend had sent me a care package and also included some goodies for Jack! He was thrilled and so was I! Now I have goodies to see me through my entire rewrite of A Lasting ImpressionWoohoo! (Bless you, sweet Patti Jo!)



And…I received my substantive edit from my editors so now the real fun begins! I LOVE the rewrite stage. I love the perspective that time away from the book gives me, and I'm especially appreciative of the suggestions and comments from my editors. My stories are so much stronger with their perspective and partnership.

So now, off for some M&Ms and rewrites…

5 comments:

  1. Blessings on the rewrite!! I cannot wait to read the book! :) My little sister and I are HUGE fans, and we have been very blessed by your words. I will be praying for you while you work! Oh, and since you are in a cleaning mode... you are welcome to come clean my apartment.... :) Just kidding of course! (unless you REALLY want to clean some more...)
    In HIM,
    Miranda
    p.s. I love the "What I..." section of your blog so much, I answered the questions on my blog too... I hope you don't mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miranda! And bless you for those prayers. Please keep them coming. And I'm off to read YOUR "What I…" :) Hugs to you and your little sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miranda, you sweet thing! Thank you for listing FCC under books you read for comfort. That made my week, girl!! And I LOVE your blog! Beautiful. I love the pics with your precious mom too. And the puppies! And that pic of the woman and the little girl who have their arms crossed the same way is adorable! So glad we're on this journey together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a blessing to have friends like that! I especially love it when they come over, look around and say, "Stacey, your house really looks good!" because they've seen it when it didn't look so great! :D What a treat to get a care package! I have some very special treasures that I've received over the years in care packages! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! I am so happy to have made your week, and I am touched that you enjoyed my blog and the pictures! (The picture of the woman and little girl crossing their arms is of my cousin and her daughter, which is why I love it so much! Like mother, like daughter!) Your Jack pictures always make me think of my little terrier Darcy. :) I will definitely keep the prayers coming, and I am thankful for sharing this life journey with you, too. It's so fun to connect with fellow travelers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...