Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are experiencing technical difficulties..."


"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are experiencing technical difficulties..."

That's what my daughter Kelsey and I heard Sunday night just as the prince in the Broadway musical Beauty and the Beast had died and was supposed to be resurrected in that glorious culminating scene where lightning flashes, music crescendos, and he's lifted high up into the air just before–– 

But no.

Instead, the curtain drops over a grieving Belle (who's been grieving a little longer than rehearsed) and her now dead prince, and we hear the above announcement. The house lights come up and a stunned audience (of which at least half are children) are staring at the curtain, then at each another.

Kelsey and I start giggling, thinking about how badly those actors must feel. And the show–-to that point––had been AMAZING! FABULOUS! Loved it! 

Then came the tiny voices from all around us:


"It just got to the best part…and then he died?"

"Mom, did he really die this time?"

"That's not how the movie goes!"



Parents very quickly moved to comfort their children as Kelsey and I, along with a gal sitting next to us, got even more tickled. Then Kelsey says, "Let this be a lesson… You meet the man of your dreams, he's ugly, and then he dies." : )

A "selfie" Kels snapped of us on Sunday night at TPAC
for the showing of Beauty and the Beast


About ten minutes goes by, then the announcer comes back over the PA system,

"Please take your seats. The show is about to resume."



The lights go down. The curtain goes up. And there's Belle and her dead prince again. 

But this time…

As she's weeping, lightning starts flashing, music crescendos, and the prince is lifted high up into the air (just like in the movie)! Then suddenly the lights go dark and––BAM––they come back on again and the prince has been gloriously transformed!

The crowd––and especially the children––went wild. It was such fun.


As I watched the finale, and then later, as Kels and I talked about it (and laughed some more) on the way home, I thought about how often life simply doesn't go the way we plan it. And a dark curtain falls and we think, "Wait a minute! It just got to the best part, and then this happens? Seriously?!"

I'm reminded of how this world is not our forever home, and of how, one day, we'll all be gloriously transformed when we receive our heavenly bodies once we're with Him face-to-face. Lightning will flash, the chorus of angels and resurrected believers will crescendo, and our Lord and King Jesus will be lifted high for all to see, and every knee will bow. And we won't ever have to worry again about that dark curtain––or experiencing life's technical difficulties––ever again.

Now do tell… What's your favorite musical? And why do you love it so? Have you seen a musical on Broadway? Have you seen Beauty and the Beast?


Tammy

And just in case you haven't heard about this yet…


Here's Bernadette Peters singing No One Is Alone from Into the Woods, a favorite of mine. Is it yours too?




11 comments:

  1. That's fabulous. :) What a memorable evening. I've never seen that musical on stage, but my all time favorite is Lion King. I sit in awe during that performance.

    Blessings, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Lion King! So good, too, Emily! When those animals walk down the aisle. Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Don't even get me started on musicals!! I looooove them! Ask anyone that knows me, they will tell you I am a musical freak! Annie get your gun is my favorite!! I have seen that and Oklahoma live. It is so wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch that one again, Bailey! Thanks for the rec, friend!

      Delete
  3. I love it! My friends and I saw the show on Saturday afternoon, and we loved it, too! But we didn't have quite the memorable ending that y'all had. :) But I loved being at a show with so many kids. One behind me thought all of Lefou's tumbles deserved applause. It was a great show. So glad it came to TPAC. My favorite musical is AIDA (music and lyrics by Elton John and Tim Rice), but it hasn't toured in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at the Lefou comment. Bless that child! ; ) I've never seen AIDA but now I want to! Hugs to you, Liz.

      Delete
  4. I love most all musicals, because I just love music - one of my favorites is The Phantom Of the Opera. Enjoyed the post, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, The Phantom. Yes! Mesmerizing music! Thanks for sharing, bonton!

      Delete
  5. This is too funny! I love Kelsey's comment! ; ) I enjoy musicals, too. I've never seen Beauty and the Beast but I know my daughter would LOVE it...and so would I! I've seen Les Miserables on Broadway...what an experience! I've seen Phantom of the Opera at the Fox Theater in Atlanta...I LOVE that place! I hope I can go to a musical sometime. I really want to see Wicked...I haven't seen it yet. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, on The Fox. And Wicked....oh, wow. A fav!

      Delete
  6. I have not been to Broadway to see any musicals. I did see Phantom of The Opera once in Los Angeles and it was great. I used to like watching the musicals at the movies when I was younger...like Cadrousel and The King and I.
    JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...