Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Beginnings and Endings


Coming in March
a Belmont Mansion novel
(book 2)
I love beginnings and endings.

I love starting a book (both as a reader and a writer), and I love finishing a book, too. Especially as a writer! And I've finally finished another one.

After fourteen months of writing and rewriting, A Beauty So Rare is finished, and I'm so excited to share this story with readers. It's the second in the Belmont Mansion novel three-book series and features Eleanor Braddock, a plain, no-nonsense kind of woman who knows what she wants out of life and who's determined to get it, despite life's seeming determination to block her at every turn.

Writing a novel is a very personal journey. 

A novelist grows to love her characters in a way that even her family members may question on occasion. "These people aren't real," my husband said to me again recently. "You do know that, right?"

My response? "Honey, they're real to me!"

And they are. And while I'm fully aware that I'm the writer and have supposed "control" over where the story goes, I'm also very much aware that as the story unfolds, as motivations rise to the surface, as characters realize what's most important to them and make choices as their journey progresses, I'm also an observer. I'm often completely caught off guard by something that happens. I pull my hands back from the keyboard and just stare at the screen.

I had several of those moments while writing A Beauty So Rare. 

a Belmont Mansion novel 
(book 1)
I've woven tons of history into this story, as I did with A Lasting Impression (Belmont Mansion book 1), which was both a pleasure and a pain. LOL.

Writing about real places and real people is an honor. It's also a responsibility––one I don't take lightly. Throughout the course of writing a novel, there are places where "giving the truth scope" adds depth and excitement to the story, and it's always a balance to weave a compelling fictional narrative against the backdrop of real history. I hope I've achieved that balance with this next novel.

As Lynn Austin said in her (excellent) post yesterday at Writes of Passage, writing The End is a terrifying and exhilarating experience. 


While I've never looked at books as my "babies"––I have two babies who are now 26 and 24 <wink>––all of my nine-soon-to-be-ten-published novels are definitely products of my heart, and it's slightly nerve wracking to spend all those months and months of pouring yourself into a project only for it to finally be released and out there for readers to read. And yet, that's why writers write…

To connect not only with all the characters and plots swirling inside them, but to connect with you. The beloved reader…


To step back in time together and share another journey of love and loss, of meeting life's challenges with courage and grit, and of discovering not only who the characters are, but of who we are through experiencing life through their eyes and struggles. I can hardly wait to connect with you again as we revisit the Belmont Mansion––this time with Marcus Geoffrey and Eleanor Braddock, the hero and heroine in A Beauty So Rare.





Tell me, what's the last journey you've taken with an author? I'd love to know the name of the novel and what nugget of truth or life experience you took with you as you turned that final page. 


Blessings on your Tuesday!
Tammy


Are you planning to visit Nashville's Belle Meade Plantation, 
the setting of To Whisper Her Name anytime soon? 
If yes, then check out the half price Groupon below. 














(And never mind the 1 day left. This picture was taken yesterday, 
so the Groupon offer ends today!)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read A Beauty So Rare! I'm beginning A Lasting Impression soon. Finished To Whisper Her Name earlier this year.

    The last journey I took with an author? Today I just finished "Not By Sight," by Kathy Herman. It was a funny, suspenseful read with definitely some emotion. A powerful story of God's redeeming love in the face of horrifying uncertainty and, of course (hence the title), not putting our faith into just the facts we can currently see. A very timely read, if I do say so myself!

    Prayers coming your way for a smooth publication!
    -Grace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...