Tuesday, August 14, 2007

W.D. Farr and Rekindled

When writing my first book, Rekindled, I had the wonderful honor and privilege of interviewing the foremost water rights expert in Colorado, Mr. W.D. Farr. I learned today that Mr. Farr died at his home early Monday afternoon.

I'll never forget sitting there with him chatting about water rights in the 1800s during our lunch at Potato Brumbaugh's, and he joked and said, "Sometimes those ditch riders forgot how to swim." Well, his story that followed (and he had so many wonderful stories) ended up being in Rekindled, along with a few others.

"He was a pioneer rancher, visionary, water expert, banker and was considered by many to be a true statesman, having served in several capacities under three presidents on the international level." (excerpt from the Greeley Tribune lead article)

He was a delightful man whose pictures of the past made me wish I'd walked some of those roads along with him.

If you'd like to read the Greeley Tribune article in its entirety, click here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...