Friday, December 2, 2011

Burning brightly once again

As most of you may know, my precious mom went Home in August 2009 after a brief battle with gallbladder cancer. God blessed us with some amazing last days here together that I treasure and that I'll always carry with me.

My mom gave me her wedding ring before she passed, and that's something I wear everyday, and that I look at often as I remember her. Something else that I got when Mom passed was a Bundt cake candle. What is that, you say? It's exactly what it sounds like. A candle shaped like big Bundt cake, LOL. See?


Mom kept it on her sideboard in the dining room on a pretty white cake plate (which was "so Mom") and would burn it on special occasions. Well, in the past two years since Mom's been gone, I've burned that candle down to the nubs, loving the smell and thinking of her each time I lit it.


A couple of weeks ago, I decided I needed to throw it away. There was no use in keeping it anymore. But...I couldn't do it. I started crying there by the trash can and so I put it back on the cake plate and back on the sideboard. Then I started thinking…

I had no idea where Mom got that candle but I know Google, so I got on the internet and googled "Bundt Cake Candle" and found a company that made them. Ordered one that was similar to Mom's and it just came! Isn't it pretty?


And––I love this––as it turns out, it's the same company that made Mom's. (If only I'd turned the original candle upside down and peeled off the lace doily that Mom had put on the bottom that had stuck to the candle over time, I would've seen that. Duh!) But I love that little "happenstance."

I lit the candle for the first time yesterday and it's burning brightly as we speak....


I wish I could say that I threw away the old one, but...I'm not quite ready to do that just yet. I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in my hutch. Someday it'll be the right time. But not yet. And that's all right. Because I'm burning brightly again and the aroma of precious memories of a precious mom are filling my house. And my heart. 

Blessings on your weekend,
Tammy

P.S. I found the package of doilies in Mom's hutch after she passed, so I have a supply of those for many Bundt Cake Candles to come! Thanks, Mom.

9 comments:

  1. Love this! I've never seen or heard of one of these, but bundt cakes have always been one of my favorites shapes! Sweet memories of my childhood.

    Reading this was like a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The candle is so cool! Very creative. And it is completely okay to keep your mom's candle. I understand very well. There is a wooden cow in the office that my dad kept. It was his dad's and when he passed away, dad got it. One of the legs broke and is now glued back on(kinda wobbly, with glue shown at the crack). But it still stands on the windowsill. That wooden cow won't be going anywhere for a long time. so whether it be broken cows or used up bundt cake candles, sometimes those are the things that mean the most to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some memories are just too precious to give up. The candle is absolutely lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!! I'm also wearing my mother's wedding ring. My father gave it to me after she died in Feb. 1996. I now have my father's wedding ring as well. He died this past March and gave it to me before he went home to be with Jesus and see his "Mary Muffin" (what he called my mother).

    And I love the bundt cake candle! I'm always burning candles, but have never seen one like that. Just may have to check into getting one along with a pretty pedestal cake plate to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teared up reading this post. You and your mom had such a special relationship. :-) Saying a little prayer for you. And loving the new candle! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm tearing up, too. What a sweet way to remember your Mom. My mom has in the past few months been given the diagnosis of having a rare form of skin/immune system cancer. Thankfully most people live a long time with it and she's seeing all the doctors and getting the right kind of treatment. It's scary, though. The "c" word is not what you want to hear. I think all of us are kind of just acting like everything is fine right now. I know it's got to be hard not to have your Mom with you, but sweet to see her memory revived through special little things. Hugs! Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet, sweet post, Tammy...and I LOVE the Bundt Cake Candle! I'm a "candle fanatic" *grin* but had never heard of that kind until your post. What a precious way to keep memories of your sweet Mom burning brightly. Sending hugs to you, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless y'all for sharing. Appreciate you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have any idea when A Lasting Inpression will be released in audiobook format?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...