Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Favorite Romance Moments


I started to chat about the history of Valentine's Day today, because, well...hello! Then I actually read up on the history of Valentine's Day. And well...it's kind of depressing (saints being slain, martyrs, etc...). At least it sounds a tad depressing when I'm writing this post late Monday night/early Tuesday morning after a FULL day of writing. And quite frankly, I'd rather talk chocolate and movies.

So here we go!

Here are some of my favorite romance moments from some of my favorite romance movies! The subtly in these scenes, the emotions... Oh, wonderful! (And get ready, because I'm going to ask you to share your favorites.)

Set up: Luc Teyssier, a self-proclaimed lover of all women who could never settle for just one woman, is trying to get something out of Kate's bag while she's sleeping. But he gets a little more than he bargained for.



Set up: Robert Redford (Tom Booker) is the horse whisperer who is working with a badly wounded horse that belongs to Kristin Scott Thomas (Anne MacLean), who is married, but not to Redford, obviously. You'll see Annie's husband (Robert), played by the wonderful Sam Neill, at a nearby table. Talk about a sexy moment and note: they're fully clothed. Just goes to show you don't have to get graphic to show powerful attraction and longing.





Set up: Pretty simple... Robert Redford (Denys) is shampooing Meryl Streep's (Karen's) hair. They've been out on safari together. 




Set up: And NO! This isn't the "famous last scene" from Sense and Sensibility where Edward proposes to Elinor, though that one is wonderful! I love this scene because it's at the outset of their relationship and the humor is spot on! Humor is magical to me. Especially in romance. I love to laugh, and the ability to laugh at things (and each other) has helped Joe and me make it these 27 years and counting. 


So now, you tell me, on this Valentine's Day, what is one of your favorite romancey moments from a book or movie? 

Wishing you chocolate and romance but not necessarily in that order,
Tammy

11 comments:

  1. Though I love romantic movies, my greatest "heart pain" moments have come from books! When I am reading and suddenly it's as if my breath has left me or my hands start trembling as I am trying to turn the page, that is when I know that this character has reached into the depths of my heart. Many of those moments have come from your books, but one read that left me breathless, crying, and rejoicing the whole way through was Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers! If I tried to point out my favorite parts I would have to quote the whole book! I often wish I could read it again for the first time and experience those emotions raw once more. I can however, point out one of my all time favorites moments because it's one that I connected with personally. Opening my heart and trusting is difficult for me, so Angel was very easy to connect too! This scene is when Michael takes her up to the hill and they watch the sunrise together. His tenderness in this scene allows her to feel safe in his care, so much like our Heavenly Father. I just love this
    book!

    "Mara, that's the life I want to give you. That's what I'm offering you. I want to fill you life with color and warmth. I want to fill it with light. Give me a chance”
    ― Francine Rivers, Redeeming Love

    Happy Valentines Day, Tammy!
    Much love,
    Whitney Luckhart

    P.S. Awesome movie clips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen BBC's North and South? It's four hours and when the hero finally offers the girl a rose and the love shines through his eye . . . oh my. It was worth four hours waiting for his smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so happy to see Redford's two scenes, which are great.I thought you might be coming out with the famous kiss scene or stairway lift with Rhett and Scarlett from GWTW.
    Thank you for sparing that one, Tammy!! :)

    There are so many good scenes where nobody ends up in bed, and they are just sweet. I
    love "Murphy's Romance" near the end when Murphy kisses Emma off the soda fountain stool and pushes her out the front door of his drug store...but also the ending is cute!

    I enjoyed the movie "Someone Like You" when Ashley Judd is walking down the street and Hugh Jackman sees her and they finally kiss!!

    Also, who can forget "My Fair Lady," when you wish Rex Harrison would forget about his slippers and put his paper down and kiss Audrey Hepburn!

    There are just too many and what better to go with romance than a sweet taste of chocolate... Happy Valentine's Day, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My all-time favorite romantic movie is 'A Walk in the Clouds' which is full of special moments, but one scene still makes me teary-eyed and doesn't even include the female lead. It's where Paul Sutton (Keanu Reeves) is speaking to her father about his love for her: Papa says, "Stay away from her." Paul says, "I can't. She's like the air to me." Papa: "It's not even your child." Paul: "It will be if she'll have me."

    Love, love, love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love romantic comedies! One of my favorites is Return to Me about a widower who falls in love with the girl who received his dead wife's heart. The crazy family scenes crack me up. But my favorite scene is when Minnie Driver's character is getting ready for her date. Her friend, played by Bonnie Hunt, tells her not to shave her legs. That way she won't go too far. It is actually good advice when emotions take over our brains!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the clips! Robert Redford...that man never stops looking dreamy! : ) I LOVE the end of North and South, too. That is one of the best kiss/romantic scenes. I also love the new version of Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly when she and Darcy are dancing and it takes everyone out of the scene but them...and the proposal scenes are great, too. Persuasion is wonderful, too. Another fav...the new Jane Eyre when he proposes and the moments after. I love those moments they share...but I love the passion in the book even more. There's not a lot of physical contact but you can tell the deep connection Jane and Rochester have. So good. I could go on and on because I love a good love story. This was a fun post! Thanks for sharing!
    Btw...made your cake mix cookies with valentine m&m's today...delish!
    Happy Valentine's Day! Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  7. In "Kate & Leopold" (Meg Ryan & Hugh Jackman), my favorite romance moment is their dancing after the rooftop dinner for two.....Awwwwwww.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED your comments and suggestions, gals! North and South... it's been forEVER since I've seen that. Return to me is such a keeper. Love that one! K&L is great too. And I'd totally forgotten that moment in Walk in the Clouds!

    Murphey's Romance is actually a favorite of mine. I love that line when she says, "I'm in love for the first time in my life." And he says, so sweetly, "And I'm in love for the last time of my life."

    And Whitney, do NOT even get me started on Redeeming Love. GREATEST love story ever! Love that book. Love that Francine too. She rules!!

    Appreciate you gals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the videos and read your little insights to them, and the one, and only, story that came into my head, the one that I pull from my bookcase just to read those scenes again, is Persuasion. The scene where they see each other for the first time after 8 years....You can immediately tell they are still in love. And then when Anne reads his letter....*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you, freddikb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good one, ladies! good one! Need to read that again. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...