Sunday, October 21, 2012

Simmering Spice and everything's nice

The comforting scents of simmering spices just make life better somehow. I love the way they make my house smell. Mmmmm... Here's what currently simmering on my stove. 


Fall Simmering Spices
3 (4-inch) cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup whole cloves
1/2 lemon, halved
1/2 orange, halved
1 qt water

Combine all ingredients in a tea kettle or 1 or 2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer as long as desired. Check often and add water as needed. Mixture may be stored in refrigerator for several days. 

Do you have a favorite simmering spice recipe? Please share!

If you're on my newsletter list, you should have received a quick email update I mailed this morning. If you didn't, you can view it here for a free ebook, recipes, video vignettes and more.

Happy Sunday afternoon, friends.

Tammy

6 comments:

  1. OOoh...I'll bet that makes your house smell great! I need to do some of that...I love that fall-ish smell. One of our favorite fall things is apple cider. I know there are lots of recipes out there, but this is what we use:
    Apple Cider

    1/2 quart cranberry juice (I like it a little less tart, so I use the cran-apple juice instead)
    2 quarts apple juice (or a 1/2 gallon)
    4 cinnamon sticks
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp whole cloves
    orange slices (optional)

    We use one of those perculators (sp?) that has the basket thing on top and we put all of our spices and sugar in that while it simmers. If you are just using a crock pot or pot on the stove, you might want to put the spices in some cheese cloth or something like that. It's delish! : )
    I got your newsletter and always enjoy reading it. Fall blessings~Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for the bay leaf, that's very similar to the ingredients for the homemade spiced tea I grew up with. The powdered mix with Tang in it doesn't even tempt me when I can have something that tastes as good as it smells.

    Unfortunately, we're back up around 90 degrees, so simmering spices doesn't exactly fit the bill today! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm... I can almost smell your cider, Stacey! That's a keeper recipe for sure! Thanks!

    And Linda, I'm praying cold weather and snow for you! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, your prizes look absolutely lovely! :D Historical fiction has been my first love to read and write since before I can remember. I don't really know exactly what about it that draws me. Maybe it's the times and places that are so different than our own, yet the people in those times had the same feelings and emotions that make them relateable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your books & thanks very much for the recipes! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to trying the simmering spices, sound so much better than the smoky candles.

    I love historical reading because I can relate to it, I would love to have lived during that era. Times were much simpler, people worked together and prayed together. I know they worked harder but they did it together.

    Thanks so much for the Scavenger Hunt it has been so much fun, love visiting the websites of everyone and gaining a few new authors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...