Friday, October 28, 2011

Those bygone days...


When did it begin…this fascination with the past? The earliest I can remember experiencing an attraction for days gone by is when I was nine years old and we were on a month long trip to Europe.
Traveling around Europe for a month, you say? At the age of nine? You must have grown up in a privileged family. While I was blessed in many, many ways, I would hasten to add that there were eight of us (four adults, four children) traveling around Europe in a VW Bug for a month. I was stuffed in the cubbyhole in the back.
My older brother, my mom, and grandmother were in the backseat (my dad had to stay home and work, bless him). My uncle and aunt and their two toddlers rode in the front, and then all of the luggage was strapped to the top. Does that give the month long venture new perspective?
Still, to me…it was heaven. And it’s where I trace my roots of my love for history. . .
Continued over at Southern BelleView where I'm guest blogging today. Join us!
And yes, that's me at age 9, getting onboard one of those glass bottomed boats in Germany. Heaven help me, I was tilting my head to the side even then... 

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! You were darling! (Still are!) I loved hopping over and reading your guest post. Brought back memories of when my grandmother gave me Little Town on the Prairie one Christmas. I absolutely adored it - and then discovered to my delight that there was an entire series! I can't believe I remember this, but I told my mom "Grandmother didn't know she was about to start me on a whole new reading adventure!" (Yeah, I was a dorky kid!) I eventually had the whole series and read them so many times I lost count and had them practically memorized.

    Your story of going into the mansions with your flashlights reminded me of another book I absolutely loved and read multiple times - From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg! It made my heart pound because I was such a rule-follower and couldn't imagine doing what they did and was so scared they would get caught, but I was fascinated with the idea that they managed to live in the museum!

    So now I'm wondering if you've been sneaking around the Belmont with your flashlight?! 'Fess up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat experience! I love memories of taking trips with my family growing up...we would go to old homes, civil war sites, etc. A love for history and travel was sparked in my early years and still goes strong! I look forward to sharing adventures with my children in the years to come. By the way...mom is working on those recipes for me and I should be sending them your way in the next couple of days! : )
    Blessings~Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gals. And LOL, Linda, at you once having been a rule-follower. I just canNOT imagine that now! ;)

    Thanks, Stacey, for those coming recipes. I can hardly wait to make the Caramel Cake! yum! and I've never made one before. Will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful experience you had, and memories. Everyone should be able to experience a family vacation such as that.(or anything with family, really) I would have been like you, crammed in the back, but it would have been great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that true, freddikb...anything with family,really. Family and friends make all the difference in an experience. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious child you were, Tammy (grown into a precious adult)*smile* ~ And what a wonderful experience that must've been for you. Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...