Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Creamy Praline Pecan Pie

I posted some pictures from a Cajun Shrimp Boil on Facebook yesterday and several of you asked for the recipe for the Creamy Praline Pecan Pie. My cousin, Gay, and her daughter Teesha, shared this recipe with me some time back but I hadn't made it yet. Why on earth did I wait so long! Oh my goodness, it's swoon worthy. Here we go...

You'll need:
1 Baked Pie Shell (I use the Pillsbury crusts that you just roll out and slip into the pie plate, so easy!)

8 oz Cream Cheese
8 oz Cool Whip
1 cup powdered sugar

Blend the previous three ingredients well with a mixer then chill as your baked pie shell is cooling.

For the topping, you'll need:
2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped (I left some of my whole as you can see below)
1 cup coconut (from the bag, not frozen)
1/2 cup butter, melted
Caramel Sauce (like you use on ice cream)

Stir the first three ingredients together, spread on a slightly greased cookie sheet, then drizzle with Caramel Sauce. Put that in the oven and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until brown (watch, so it doesn't burn).


As that's cooling, take your cream cheese mixture from the fridge and spread that into your pie crust...


Then spoon the cooled pecan/coconut topping over the cream cheese, drizzle more Caramel Sauce on the top (can you have too much caramel? I don't think so), and you're done!

Keep refrigerated until ready to eat, which won't be long once you taste that topping. Truly one of my favorite pies now. To make and eat.

Hope you enjoy! And let me know if you make this. I'll be sure and tell Gay and Teesha.

Now join me over at Writes of Passage today to see pics from my LifeWay book signing this past Saturday, and to see what questions I'm most often asked at book signings...

16 comments:

  1. Oh. My. I'm not sure mine would even make it onto the pie. Love gooey caramel pecans. Get thee behind me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in pie love with this pie! Join me! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heaven help me...that looks divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just in time for the holidays & a church dinner I have coming up.I will have to make this. Thanks for sharing.
    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word...that looks amazing! I think I will definitely have to try this out soon! My sister and I were just saying yesterday that pretty much anything with cream cheese is good : ). Thanks for sharing the recipe. The book signing looks fun. I'll keep checking to see if you'll be in Atlanta one day : ). Looks like the Belmont signing is out for me...that's the day we find out if we're expecting a boy or girl! Hope it goes well, though. I hope I can meet you one day! Blessings to you~Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you all enjoy! Let me know if you make it.

    Stacey, praying for you girl. Let me know what you're having (IF you're going to share that publicly). Are you feeling pretty good now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your prayers! That really blesses me. I entertained the idea (for about 30 seconds) of not finding out, and then I asked my dh what he thought and he was like, "yeah, let's find out!" : ) I can't keep a secret like that...I get too excited. I'll definitely let you know! I'm feeling really good right now, with the exception of a little cold bug going on in the house. It's hard not to give in to all my cravings ; ). The pic on fb of the frozen yogurt you had looked really good! Did you say cake batter on there...mmmmm! Thank you again for asking about me...it means more than I can say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too good! Love cream cheese. Love pecans. Love pie. Home run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!!! Cannot wait to make this pie (hmmm...might make it for my Sunday School Christmas dinner!). LOVE caramel....in fact just today I enjoyed 3 slices of a caramel cake (not all at one time, LOL) from my local store's bakery---sooo good! ~ Thanks again for sharing this recipe! Hugs, Patti Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Caramel Cake... Love that, Patti Jo! Hope your pie turns out yummy, which I'm sure it will.

    Now, does anyone have a good Caramel Cake recipe? A tried and true one? If yes, please share!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom makes an amazing caramel cake. People call her and ask her to make them. She even used to sell them! :) I can send you the recipe...just let me know the best place to send it! She makes the best red velvet cake I've ever had, too. Nothing compares! ~Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yay, Stacey! I'd love those, if she doesn't mind sharing. You can send them to: "TameraAlexanderATymailDOTcom" (trying to write it where those stinkin' bots won't get it)
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm pasting a more "diabetic friendly version" of this here, as kitchen tested and provided by Diana Morris Thomas on my facebook page. Thanks again, Diana!

    I made your Creamy Praline Pecan Pie. I substituted 1/2 cup of Splenda for the powdered sugar in the filling. For the topping, I used sugar-free caramel sauce which I put on after the pecans and coconut were through cooking. I am not sure how the sugar-free would hold up to the heat. It turned out wonderful. My husband, who is diabetic, loved it. It still has a little sugar in it because of the coconut, but he can eat it in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks incredible! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved it...I'm making it now...ingredients alone is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melinda Jones11/19/2014 3:18 PM

    Everyone I know loves this pie. I saw it on your site about 2 years ago. People no longer look forward(if they ever did :) ) to me coming to an event it is only about the pie!

    It is bake sale GOLD!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...