Friday, May 18, 2012

Cordina’s Tennessee Tea Cakes


Love these quotes from Christy Jordan's Southern Plate newsletter...

"God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's ME."
- Author Unknown

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.
~Zig Ziglar

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
~Will Rogers

I love Christy's Southern cookin' and also love writing Southern fiction where I can incorporate so many of these delicious (and historically accurate) recipes into my stories.

Here's one for CORDINA'S TENNESSEE TEA CAKES that's included in A Lasting Impression, the first of three Belmont Mansion novels, and that were served at the book launch event at the Belmont Mansion. Enjoy!


Cordina’s Tennessee Tea Cakes
1 Cup butter or margarine

1 Cup sugar

3 eggs
3 1/2 Cup self rising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix again. Add vanilla and flour and mix well. Roll thin on floured board, cut with cookie or biscuit cutter. Bake at 350 for ten minutes. Sprinkle with sugar while warm. Mmmmm... Delicious!

Do you have a favorite recipe that's been passed down through generations? I'd love to know. (And if you're game, maybe I could share it in a future book...??)

Blessings on your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. My mother in law is the absolute best cook ever. Before she retired she ran restaurants and a catering business. My husband, who is a chef, and is really good at what he does, says the same thing. That woman can cook. I am desperately trying to get enough time to write down some of the things she is good at, so that I can potentially duplicate them... But to find the time.

    So here is her awesome Blueberry Pie recipe:

    (The pie dough recipe is courtesy of Tenderflake Lard, their pie dough is truly flaky).

    5.5 cups flour
    2 tsp. salt
    1 lb Lard
    1 Tbsp vinegar
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    Cold Water

    -Mix together flour and salt
    -Cut in Lard with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal
    -In a measuring cup combine vinegar and egg add water to make 1 cup. Stir liquid into flour mixture. Add only enough fluids to make dough cling togehter

    Yields 2 double crust 11 inch glass pie plates

    Filling:

    4 - 6 cups fresh blueberries
    .5 - 1 cup sugar (depends how you like it)
    3 - 5 Tbsp. minute tapioca (depends on how thick you like it - you'll need more if the berries are frozen)
    1 Tbsp lemon juice

    - Combine all ingredients

    Bake at 400 F until the middle bubbles (if you cut a steam hole in the middle, you'll be able to see) anywhere between 45 - 60 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my grandmother's teacake recipe as well. At first glance, I think it's similar to this, except it doesn't have self-rising flour and has baking soda (or powder - don't remember off the top of my head. My other grandmother was an incredible cook and I think I have some of her recipes. Now I need to go pull out my mom's old recipe box that I saved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fun! I love recipes like this. All I can think of is making these with my daughter : ). One of my favorite book recipes is Alice Wisler's Bailey House lemon cookies. I would definitely recommend them! Delish!
    Blessings~Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those tea cakes were amazing! Thanks for the recipe...another new one to add to my collection! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary-Louise, I saved this recipe and just want you to know… DELICIOUS!!! So grateful you shared it with us.

    Linda, did you ever pull out that recipe box? If you found some "treasured recipes," I'd love it if you shared them. I love those old recipes....

    Blessings, friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...