Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Empty nesting...all over again

Well, it's that time of year. Time for college and moving into dorms and apartments. And that's exactly what our family did this past weekend. 

The packing and repacking, the cramming boxes and drums and bedspreads and curtains and mattress pads (Twin XL, the magical and oh-so-not-as-easy-to-find-as-you-might-think size!) and all else into multiple vehicles and heading down the highway--for about 30 miles (more on that in a second).

Then came the multiple trips to Wal-Mart and Target, the "Whoopsie, I forgot shower curtain rings," and forty-nine other things. But we had fun together--okay, after a few obligatory arguments (just keepin' it real) and a yummy lunch at Panera Bread.

I feel like I've got the best of both worlds right now--our kids go to college nearby so I'm able to see them on occasion. And yet Nashville is large enough that they can have their own space too. 

But for all the parents out there who are having to leave their precious babies hundreds of miles from home this month, I know what that feels like too. For her freshman year, our daughter (now a senior) chose a school in Arkansas and we were in Colorado at the time. I'll never forget what it felt like to drive away from her and to feel all those miles piling up between us, distancing us from each other. Not fun, but what a time of growth for her. And us.

So if you're a parent saying goodbye to a college student(s) this month, remember you're not alone, and know that as much as you love that son or daughter...God loves them far more. They're in good hands.

Here are some pics from our weekend (and from Sunday brunch last week at Macke's, a restaurant near Green Hills featured in the August issue of Southern Living). Delicious!

My family having lunch at Macke's 
(in Green Hills)




Back to College!

Our son, Kurt (far right), with his best buddies (and roommates) Matthew (left) and Austin (middle)


My husband Joe, sizing things up

Matthew's parents, Mickey and Jerrie


Kurt with his grandparents (my folks who drove up from Atlanta to join in the fray)


Matthew and Kelsey (our daughter)

Kelsey and Kurt

Matthew and Kelsey (being fake sad)


Austin's parents (Ted and Julie)
It was great to spend time with Matthew and Austin's parents. What fun couples! They're both from Texas and head back home today. Don't worry Julie and Jerrie, we'll take good care of your boys! 

And now...since writing was non-existent this weekend (ack!)...back to it!

7 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I'm in denial but it's only 3 short years before I leave my firstborn at college. Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Linda, I was talking to my sister-in-law Jackie this morning (Happy Bday, Jackie!) and was telling her that I honestly LOVE the stage our family is in right now. But it's only because my kids are loving where they are right now--this stage of life, their college years.

    Doesn't mean I don't miss them, but it does mean that when I miss them it's not an "empty hollow feeling," but rather a yearning that's mixed with anticipation. Anticipation of what opportunities await them, and all the great times ahead.

    It's a reflective time, for sure, especially as I realize how quickly the years are flying by. I mean, really, wasn't I just sewing Halloween costumes and frosting cupcakes as homeroom mom? Wow...okay, great, Linda, thanks... Now I'm crying. ROFLOL!

    ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,
    It's so fun to check out the new happenings with you guys on your blog. I really do read it often (more often than you update! LOL!)Wow! Kelsey and Kurt are so grown up...where DID the time go???? So happy things are going well for you and your family (inspite of the empty nest)!

    Holly (in Colorado-- the one with the silly girls!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Holly! Great to hear from you! And LOL at the "more often than I update" comment. Yes, I'm not your every day blogger, for sure. Too busy writing, I guess, and even then I'm behind, feels like. ;)

    How are your girls? I'd love to see some pics if you have them handy. We're loving Nashville but do miss our Colorado connections and think of you guys so often. Love you and thanks for staying in touch. Praying for you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tamera! Thanks for sharing these pictures- - your kiddos are precious!! I have 2 daughters away at colleges and I still miss them. ~ BUT...they are so happy, so that does help me cope! Plus I have a teen-aged son still at home (high school junior). But I get quite "nostalgic" at times thinking back,and have to grab the kleenex! Hugs, Patti :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tammy (again!),
    We miss you guys too. But I am so happy that God is blessing you and Joe in TN.

    Ok, so I won't write here what I'd love to share, and you said you'd like pics. But I don't have an email for you. If you'll direct me to where I can find one, or email me (har513@comcast.net), I'll email them to you. :-) Boy, was that a lot of words just to ask you for an email addy????

    Hugs,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little late here, but your family is beautiful. I can see the Light of Christ shining forth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...